In August 1950, Walter Hamblin retired after 17 years as Headmaster of Altrincham Grammar School for Boys. At 67 most people would want a well-earned rest, but not Mr Hamblin. He decided to devote the rest of his life to providing a Grammar School education for boys who were capable of benefitting from it, but who were being denied the opportunity because they could not pass the Eleven Plus.
He did not have any capital, but he did have his dream, his faith, and a tremendous amount of determination. The School opened on 9th January 1951 with 26 pupils.
When Mr Hamblin opened the School in January, 1951, he called it North Cheshire Grammar School, and this was the name of the School attended by the original pupils.
Altrincham was at that time in Cheshire, before Greater Manchester came into existence. The then Director of Education for Cheshire quickly objected to our name on two counts: one that the name clashed with the shortly to be built North Cheshire College (Now Warrington Collegiate), and two that he considered the County Council to have the sole rights to the title Grammar School.
On the second point Mr Hamblin dug in his heels very firmly. He had founded a Grammar School, and nobody was going to make him call it anything else. The first point was more difficult especially as boys were already attending the School wearing blazers with N.C.G.S. on the pockets.
A compromise was obviously needed, and so he opted for the Latin version of the same name North Cestrian Grammar School, with all the attendant variations of spelling and pronunciation with which we have had to contend over the years.